posted this on May 09, 2011 07:37 AM
Last Updated: February 17, 2014
Please note, if you wish to email communications using an email address other than the one you log into Clio with please click here.
You can send emails to Clio and link them to matters and people. This provides you with an archive and all firm users can quickly see relevant file emails.
There are two ways to send emails to Clio, and it is based on personal preference.
Via the Matter Maildrop
1. Go to the matter that you wish to link an email to and click on the "Communications" tab:
2. Click on the link "Email Communications Directly to this Matter":
3. From there you will see a pop-up box with your special email address. Use the clipboard icon to copy the email address:
4. Go to your email and copy the special email into your To: Bcc: or Cc: field and send:
Now when you go back to the Communications tab, you will see the email. If you have forwarded an email to the maildrop Clio will identify the correct To: and From: fields (as long as the contacts are entered in Clio). You will then be able to see the emails associated with the Contacts under the Communications tab of that Contact.
What if I just want to send all the emails to the same place/use one email address?
Via the Global Inbox
The Global Inbox is a complete list of all communications (phone calls, emails and secure messages) in the firm and is located here: https://app.goclio.com/communications for North American clients or https://app.goclio.eu/communications for European clients. We've seen above how each matter has it's own special email address, but you are able instead to send everything to one email address - the Global Inbox.
1. The first step is to get the Global Inbox address. To do so, go to any contact in Clio (not a Matter) and click on "Communications" :
2. Click on the link "Email Communications directly to your account":
3. You will now see the firm's global maildrop address. Click on the copy to clipboard icon:
4. Go to your email and paste in the address into the To:, CC:, or BCC: field and send email:
5. Now, go to https://app.goclio.com/communications for North American clients or https://app.goclio.eu/communications for European clients (delivery should take only a minute or two) and see the email there. You will note that there is no matter associated with the email. That is because we sent it directly to the Global Inbox. To associate a matter with this email, click on the "Edit" quick link, choose the appropriate matter and save:
You will now see the email is linked to the correct matter:
What happens to documents attached to an email? They are now found in the documents tab of that matter. There is a 25MB per email limit.
Do I have to go to the Communications tab each time to get the "special" email address? No, you can click on the vCard option while you are looking at the address and save it for future use.
If have any questions, comments, or concerns about Clio don't hesitate to contact us via our feedback form, by email at email@example.com or by phone at 1-888-858-CLIO(2546).