posted this on August 13, 2012 11:05 AM
Last Updated: March 10, 2014
Google is changing over its Docs to Drive. You may have noticed this change already if you use the general, public Gmail and Google Docs. And Clio integrates with Google Drive, letting you create new word processing documents and spreadsheets, right from Clio!
PLEASE NOTE: The initial authorization has to be done from the Owner account.
To setup Google Drive, do the following:
Connect Your Clio Account to Your Google Drive Account
1. Log into your Clio account.
2. Under your Settings, go to 'System' and click on 'Document Sources'.
3. Click the link to 'Configure Google Drive'.
4. Link your Google Drive account by clicking on 'Enable Google Drive'.
5. Click "Setup Drive" and then "Authorize Google Access:"
PLEASE NOTE: If you already have Google Calendars and Google Contacts synced, the authorization steps (6-7) would not be required.
6. When prompted, click "Allow access."
7. Google Drive is now authorized, and has now been connected to your Clio account.
Setup Google Drive
1. If you want Google Drive to be your default document source so Google Drive is automatically selected anytime you go to the Global Documents tab or Matter --> Documents, check the box.
2. Select what type of folders for Matters you want to sync: "Open," "Open and Pending" or "All."
3. Click "Save changes."
4. Now go to the Documents tab, and Google Drive appears. If you set Google Drive as your default document source, it appears first. To create, edit or view Clio Documents or Templates, simply click the Clio tab next to Google Drive.
7. Google Drive appears under the main Documents tab, as well as under the Documents tab for each Matter.
Create a New Document with Google Drive
1. Click the "Create" button to bring up the Create a New Document screen.
2. Select either "Word processing" or "Spreadsheet," name it and then click "Create."
3. The new word processing document or spreadsheet document opens in a new browser tab.
Now you can type and format normally. And when it saves, the Document appears under Google Drive. You can add time you spent on the document, edit its name from within Clio. And when you click on the title, you can write, edit and share from Google Drive, just as you normally do.
Sharing Documents and Folders in Google Drive Outside of Clio
Your Clio account's Google Drive sync only needs to be performed once by your Clio account administrator. Once the administrator has setup the Google Drive integration, all users in your firm's Clio account will be able to upload and see documents via that Google Drive document integration in Clio when they go to "Documents" or the "Documents" sub-tab in a Matter.
If the other users in your Clio account would like to have access to those folders directly in Google Drive, outside of Clio, they need to have Google, or Gmail, accounts. Once this is confirmed, the administrator who originally setup the Google Drive integration would go into their Drive account outside of Clio and share the entire Clio folder, or specific folders within it, with the users in your firm who would like to access them outside of Clio.
Directions for sharing folders and documents in Google Drive can be found on their support website.
If have any questions, comments, or concerns about Clio don't hesitate to contact us via our feedback form, by email at email@example.com or by phone at 1-888-858-CLIO(2546).